Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mosque Madness

I keep on hearing a lot of controversy regarding the proposed mosque near ground zero. Frankly, I am baffled by it. I know some people who have very strong feeling regarding this project, but I have trouble seeing their side of the issue.

Here are some of the points I have heard, and my reactions to them:

I have heard that the building of a mosque in that particular spot is a "slap in the face" to the people who died there. My first thought is... why? The people building the mosque are, by reputable reports, peaceful people who abhor the violence preached by extremist groups. They have also been praying there for years in a nondescript building that the mosque will merely replace (according to the New York Times). The only change is the symbol of the building itself, which despite propaganda still represents a religion of peace.

I know it is tempting to point out that there are many high-profile cases of terrorism perpetrated in the name of their religion, but let's be honest: which of us can legitimately point a finger? Christians, put your hands down- the Crusades alone are a black mark. If you're not convinced, think of the recent murder of a doctor performing abortions. Whether you agree or not, it was murder in the name of religion. If you ask a Palestinian, the actions of Jews in Israel in their long conflict is tantamount to terrorism. A Jew would say the same thing about Palestinians. Catholicism, besides its bloody history in Europe, has a history of legal scuffles regarding their strict behavioral code in schools. Are we all tarred by the brush of our religions?

I have heard exhortations to protect America by protesting the mosque. My first thought? How does that protect America? Let's break this down a bit. America is a land of the free. A place where we can pursue happiness without fear of persecution based on religious beliefs. I believe that America stands as the land of tolerance. The way to protect these ideals, it seems to me, is to perpetuate them. By bringing down an effort to peacefully worship (and if you disagree on their intent, prove it. Innocent until proven guilty), we make ourselves into the very type of people we say we despise: full of irrational hatred, willing to lash out at people we don't know just because they have different beliefs.

If we act as if the mosque has any power over ground zero, 9/11 remembrances, or the memories of the fallen, we have already betrayed the sacredness of those memories. If we remember in our own hearts, NOTHING can touch that. So why do we get so upset about a mosque?

Bottom line: I would rather create peace instead of war. If what goes around really does come around, I can live with my decision. How about you?

No comments: