Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Library 2.0

I thought of coming up with a witty, sarcastic title for this post, but my brain seems to have failed me. Oh well... I'll get one next time.

Anyway, I've just been learning about Library 2.0, which is apparently rather like Web 2.0. Whatever that means. It rather surprised me, though, that this term is more like a philosophy than anything else. If I understand it correctly, it encapsulates the idea that it is not enough for libraries to excel at their traditional roles, but instead must constantly strive to adapt their services and styles to the ever-changing public.

Why, you ask? Self preservation. According to some authors on the subject, the traditional role of libraries is already heading out the door, and if we fail to change with the times we risk extinction (not to be melodramatic or anything). One writer was bold enough to claim that even keeping hardcopies of books will soon become a pointless, expensive exercise, and that we should begin cutting back to prepare for this change.

I agree that times change, and that in many respects the needs which libraries fill are altering. But it seems too simplistic to say that we must begin building the libraries of the future by anticipating cultural shifts today. There are too many variables to consider, and if nothing else there are too many individuals who enjoy the old-fashioned feeling of a real book in their hands or talking to a real reference librarian face-to-face. I like that Library 2.0 seems to advocate flexibility, but I'm not convinced that we should aspire to the degree of fluidity some authors favor.

No comments: