Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What the heck are "Wikis"?

Actually, I'm not quite as clueless as the title of this blog implies. But I guess I'm pretty close because I first thought that "wikis" just referred to Wikipedia. ("What do you mean, there's more than one?!")

As a college student, my peers (and especially teachers) do not hold wikis in high regard. Academia is more concerned with peer-reviewed scholarly journals and other sources of verifiable facts. So, although Wikipedia and similar sites may serve a very valid purpose, I have not been familiar with that aspect in the past. I therefore had to throttle my knee-jerk negativity upon hearing that I was going to learn about wikis. [Oh Horrors!]

While I still don't like to rely on wikis for information when accuracy is important, I really like the idea of using a book-lovers wiki on a library site. That would be a great way to stimulate discussion in the community, and objective truth doesn't really matter because it's about subjective opinions, anyway. I would certainly visit such a site, especially if I could find someone who liked my favorites and could recommend others.

However, having said all that, I do invite people to disagree. Especially if someone reading this would like to point out scenarios in which it would be fine to rely on information from wikis (remembering my scenario of accuracy being important), I would love to hear that feedback.

No comments: